One of the most common comments I get about my health and fitness routine is “Ugh I wish I could, I just have no motivation.” The truth is that everyone has these moments, even the biggest names in the fitness industry. I found myself in one of these moments yesterday, but an hour or so later, I was at the gym ready to go. As I was warming up, I thought that I should share my tips and tricks for how I motivate myself on the days when I just don’t feel like it. No matter how far along you are in your fitness journey, you’re always going to have those zero motivation moments. It’s how you handle them that makes all the difference.
- Set a goal. I remember when I lived in Australia, I bought a pair of jeans that I thought would fit, but they didn’t. Instead of returning them, I decided to keep them. I hung them in my closet door and looked at them every morning when I woke up. A few months later they fit. I still have them today! LOL. Having a visual goal like that is a great way to stay motivated. For me now, my wedding dress is my motivation! T minus 10 months! Ah!
- Create an inspiration album on your phone. I have an album on my phone full of pictures and videos of my fitness goals and where I want to be. Every time I’m on social media and I see something that motivates me, I screenshot it and add it to the album. You can add anything from pictures and videos to quotes and clothes! Start scrolling through the album and I assure you not even halfway through you’ll be ready to hit the gym!
- Just put your gym clothes on! I will literally tell myself “I’m not going to go to the gym, I’m just going to put my gym clothes on.” I know it sounds super simple, but this really works! I mean c’mon, who feels motivated to work out when you have no bra on and a big t-shirt?
- Find a gym buddy. I loveeee my gym buddy! Especially if you’re new to the gym and the biggest thing holding you back is shyness, having someone to go with makes all the difference.
- Find something you enjoy! I really enjoy lifting weights, plyometrics, and good HIIT cardio sessions. If you absolutely hate running, don’t run! There are tons of super fun options out there. You can also find a gym that has some good classes. Spinning was always my favorite.
- Take progress pictures. When you look at how far you’ve come, it will motivate you to keep going. Again, the more visual items the better! One of the easiest ways to lose motivation is not seeing results!
- Have a plan and be prepared. If you’re not following a specific program, make sure you have a plan mapped out. The worst thing is to just show up at the gym with no idea of which exercises you are going to do or how much weight you’re pushing.
- Eat right. If your body doesn’t have the right fuel, you’ll have no energy to workout. On top of that, if you’re trying to lose weight, this can really hinder your results. Weight loss is all about creating a calorie deficit. If you’ve created a few hundred calorie deficit from your workout, but then make poor food choices, you can cancel out all the hard work you put in at the gym.
- Find a good pre-workout! On low energy days, pre-workout is a game changer for me. If you’re not into supplements, a nice cup of coffee or an energy drink will do.
- Be consistent. The only way to see results is to be consistent. When you’re consistent, you will feel great and see results, and that will motivate you to keep going. It’s a snowball effect.
So if you’ve been trying to get a fitness routine happening for some time now, or if you’ve just feel off, my advice is just to start today! Even after just one workout, you’re going to feel a difference, and it won’t be long until you see a change! For the low energy, zero motivation, just give me ice cream and 10 episodes of ‘Friends’ days, keep this list handy and get yourself moving!
I hope this helped you in one way or another, and I wish you the best on your fitness journey!