I was recently able to enjoy seeing my cousin have an encounter with God for the first time which inspired me to share how I built my personal relationship with God. There is something about the secret place when it is just God and I. I recently went through a really tough situation and if it wasn’t that I learned many years ago how to get through the tough times I probably would have been moping around in my sorrow. But my bounce back game is real and it is because I seek God with everything in me. There is not one person in this world that can make me feel better but God. That is how much I depend on Him. So below you will find some ideas of things you can try that can spice up your relationship with God:
- WALKS WITH GOD. At least 3 to 4 times a week I go for a morning walk. This is actually a new practice that I have done the past five months that has brought me to a deeper level of intimacy. I look forward to hearing from God. I put on a Worshipmob Ventures track which is about 30 minutes long, I put a worship list I created from my favorite songs or I play instrumental music. I get some profound revelations of life, I am able to brainstorm, I remind myself of what I am grateful for and ask God for help, healing for others the list is endless. The best part is I get more in tune with my spirit. Sometimes I run and let the worship speak to me or I listen in and hear God speak.
- WATCH SERMONS. I have my favorite pastors that I YouTube their name and watch recent sermons. They are Carl Lentz, Christine Caine, Lisa Harper, Steven Furtick and John Gray to name a few.
- LISTEN TO WORSHIP MUSIC. I will listen while I drive or while I’m working. You are what you listen to and if I am not celebrating at a party then I would prefer to be in a peaceful state and worship music does that. My favorites are Bethel Music, Elevation Worship, Housefires, The Belonging Co., Mosaic, SEU Worship, Passion, United Pursuit, and Planetshakers. There are also the artists who take me to that place like Isreal Houghton, Tauren Wells and Tori Kelly. My church sings every Hillsong worship song so during the week I give myself a break from them but their awesome as well.
- YOUVERSION BIBLE PLANS. My favorite thing about the app is that whatever I am going through, whatever topic I want to explore further there is a devotional written about it. This has helped in such a great way. I can even read plans with friends and see their perspective on the scripture or teaching.
- MOTIVATING INCANTATIONS. On Apple Music Steven Furtick has these awesome motivational pick me ups where they prep me to do what I gotta do. Give it a listen and see for yourself.
- SOAKING SESSIONS. A soaking session for me is a bunch of candles lit in a quiet space with focused attention on God. Sometimes music with lyrics sometimes instrumental. There is no right way just another fancy way to say spend time with God in the most vulnerable way by opening your heart and mind to receive God’s love. If I am not consistent with spending time with God it is very evident in my attitude and behaviors. So for refreshing times I will put on an instrumental and write. I will write about anything and honestly every time I do it God leads me to a new thought or revelation he wants to bring forth to me.
- MEDITATION. There are guided meditations on Youtube that will allow you to experience a peace that will ease the spirit. Norma recently shared with me the most relaxing meditating youtube video that I must share with you guys. See link here: https://youtu.be/rZb5fN_YEbQ
The awesome thing is there are so many options. I do not do all of the above every day although it would be nice. The vow is I will do at least of the above every day depending on what I need. Like any relationship, the only way to develop it is to spend time with the person you’re trying to get to know. “Consistency separates winners from wannabes”- Steven Furtick.
So be consistent with the time you spend talking, listening or reading. Intimacy is what you make of it. You can either take ownership in growing your relationship or wait until your Pastor preaches next Sunday to be filled again but I do not suggest that because that is a very shallow relationship to have with the person who created you. In addition, you will not be able to fully experience what it is to be a follower of Christ. The more you seek God the less awkward it becomes I promise but do at least one thing every day and you will see a difference.